The taste of bison is very similar in taste to beef. It has a coarser texture and a slightly sweeter flavour. It does not taste gamey. There is no aftertaste like some game animals such as moose.
There is one roast per package.
Each steak weighs about 2 pounds.
Roast Bison Recipe:
- 2 lb. bison pot roast (fresh or fully thawed)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 tbsp. chopped or granulated garlic
- 1 tsp. coarse sea salt
- 1 tsp. coarse ground pepper
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- I diced large onion
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 3 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2.5 cups of beef stock or�
- 1.5 cups of beef stock and one cup of dry red wine
- Place bison pot roast in a large zip lock bag with flour, garlic, salt and pepper. Shake well to coat and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Place a heavy bottomed pan on the stove and preheat for 10 minutes on medium low.
- Add vegetable oil and brown the roast well on the first side for 7 minutes and the second side for 5 minutes. Remove and set aside on a platter.
- ￼Add onions to same skillet and saut� until soft and clear, about 9 minutes. Add carrots and celery and cook for an additional 11 minutes. For best flavour the vegetables should caramelize.
- ￼Add one heaping tablespoon of tomato paste and continue to saut� an additional 2 minutes.
- ￼Add beef stock or stock/wine mixture. Return roast to pan, bring liquid to a boil and ￼immediately reduce to a simmer.
- ￼Cover and cook on lowest stove top setting for 7 hours or...
- Set oven temp to 180�F and cook in covered heavy casserole for 8 hours or...
- Transfer to slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.
- When the meat is fork tender, remove roast and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving with gravy and vegetables.